Job context and purpose
Astrocast, in partnership with Airbus and Thuraya is building a network of leading-edge nanosatellites in Low Earth Orbit to provide cost-effective IoT services to the 90% of the world not covered by cellular systems.
Astrocast low cost modems collect and transmit data from sensors or other customer assets and transmit them to our satellite network. The collected data is stored on the satellite and then forwarded to ground stations located around the globe. The ground stations forward the data to the cloud database, which is easily accessible to clients.
Astrocast’s mission is to strive at building and maintaining the most advanced and sustainable satellite IoT communication network to track assets, monitor the environment and save lives.
Astrocast will start to deploy its commercial satellites constellation at the end of 2020 and start offering its commercial service in 2021. Reliability of the satellites, ground systems and the overall operations is a key factor to guarantee the continuity and the quality of the service.
We are looking for engineers who will daily monitor the spacecraft, control the space operations, contribute to the improvement of the space operations system’s design, including automation of the space operations system, proposals for new flight or ground software features, flight procedures, operations strategies, etc.
A day in the life of the Spacecraft Reliability Engineer
- Monitor and control all operational progress, in accordance with the scheduled operations plan, ensuring that safety criteria are respected and that all operations are conducted in accordance with the established procedures;
- Perform specific operations related to individual missions, as defined in the operations plans
- Report to the Head of Spaceflight Engineering or his Deputy when a not known anomaly is detected
- Take corrective actions as necessary, applying the contingency/ emergency procedures in case of known anomalies/contingencies
- Prepare operations reports as requested
- Maintenance and improvement of flight procedures
- Contribute to the enhancement of the automation of the space operations system with specifications and bug reporting
- Analysis of spacecraft anomaly and anomaly-handling procedures. Reproduction and documentation of the anomaly on the testing facility (FlatSat or QM facility)
- Analysis, reproduction and documentation of ground system anomalies
- Interfacing with the flight- and ground-software development team for testing or improvement proposals
- Analysis and development of new operational concepts and improvements with focus of M2M spacecraft operations
- Test and validate all operational items
- Training and Simulations
- Review, refine and complement relevant documentation generated during preceding phases
- Maintenance and improvement of space operations handbooks
- On-duty when needed for controlling and monitoring the fleet from the Service Operations Centre (SOC)
What will make you successful
- Master’s degree in aerospace engineering or equivalent diploma or experience
- Excellent knowledge of Matlab or similar software
- Knowledge of the following languages: XML, C#, C++, Python
- Understanding of APIs and database systems
- Attention to detail and procedural discipline
- Ability to work autonomously, showing initiative and self-management skills
- Motivated and proactive team player
- Perfect mastery of English oral and written
- Hands-on experience in testing environment is an asset
- Thorough understanding of spacecraft onboard architectures is an asset
- Experience with real-time spacecraft operations console is an asset
What we offer:
Astrocast supports equal opportunities employment.
Our values are important to us as they define Astrocast culture and represent what we believe in:
- Agile – stay ahead of the game and be ready for the next challenge
- Smart – be smart enough to set goals you can reach and navigate to get there
- Team-oriented – share knowledge, trust your colleagues and be committed
- Respectful – embrace diversity, new ideas and value differences
- Open-minded – think outside the box, be open to change and learn from failures.
Astrocast offers flexible working time, team events and great offices, in a dynamic, friendly, innovative and multi-cultural work environment with Attractive working conditions (ping-pong table, fresh fruits, training, lounge, etc.)
- Start Date: September 1st, 2020
- Contract / mission duration: Permanent position with 3-month trial period
- Activity rate: full time 100%
- Location: Astrocast, Chavannes-près-Renens
"Working at Astrocast has been an incredible journey so far, working alongside a highly talented engineering team to develop world-leading products that are set to create whole new industries is the favorite part of my role."
"On a starry night, I look up and see a tiny shiny object flying through the dark sky amongst the stars and feel a wave of pride in our hard work!"
"I'm new to the team. Starting in April 2020, it took several weeks to meet everyone in person. But since day one, I was already contributing and working well within the team. I attribute this to the Astrocast's culture of openness and friendliness, but also of getting things done."
"What I appreciate the most about working at Astrocast is the motivation with which the team works. We know that what we are doing is game-changing, and we are all happy to do our little part to make it happen."
"When joining Astrocast, I knew that I would bring a lot to the company, but little did I know how much Astrocast would get to me. Working for such an innovative company allows its employees to scale up!"