Job context and purpose
Astrocast, in partnership with Airbus and Thuraya is building a network of leading-edge nanosatellites in Low Earth Orbit to provide cost-effective IoT services to the 90% of the world not covered by cellular systems.
Astrocast low cost terminals collect and transmit data from sensors or other customer assets and transmit them to our satellite network. The collected data is stored on the satellite and then forwarded to ground stations located around the globe. The ground stations forward the data to the cloud database, which is easily accessible to clients.
Astrocast’s mission is to track assets, monitor the environment, and save lives by building and operating the most advanced and sustainable satellite IoT network.
To consolidate the Mission Operations Team, we are looking for a Spacecraft Reliability Engineer who will report directly to the Team Leader Spacecraft Operations. Thanks to his/her space operations background he/she will have the responsibility to monitor and control the spacecrafts and contribute to the improvement of the space operations system.
- Monitor and control all operational progress, in accordance with the scheduled operations plan, ensuring that safety criteria are respected and that all operations are conducted in accordance with the established procedures and taking corrective actions as necessary
- Perform specific operations related to individual missions, as defined in the operations plans
- Analysis of spacecraft anomaly and anomaly-handling procedures. Reproduction and documentation of the anomaly on the testing facility (FlatSat or QM facility)
- Prepare operations reports as requested
- Maintenance and improvement of flight procedures
- Contribute to the enhancement of the automation of the space operations system
- Interfacing with the flight- and ground-software development team for testing or improvement proposals
- Analysis and development of new operational concepts and improvements with focus of M2M spacecraft operations
- Test and validate all operational items
- Training and Simulations
- Review, refine and complement relevant documentation generated during preceding phases
What will make you successful
- Master’s degree in aerospace engineering or equivalent diploma or relevant experience
- Excellent knowledge of Matlab or similar software
- Knowledge of the following languages: XML, C#, C++, Python
- Understanding of APIs and database systems
- Thorough understanding of spacecraft onboard architectures is an asset
- Experience with real-time spacecraft operations console is an asset
- Hands-on experience in testing environment is an asset
- Ability to work autonomously, showing initiative and self-management skills
- Motivated and proactive team player
- Fluency in English, any other language an asset
- Open-minded, positive attitude and strong attention to detail
What we offer
Astrocast supports equal opportunities employment.
Our values are important to us as they define Astrocast culture and represent what we believe in:
- Agile – stay ahead of the game and be ready for the next challenge
- Smart – be smart enough to set goals you can reach and navigate to get there
- Team-oriented – share knowledge, trust your colleagues and be committed
- Respectful – embrace diversity, new ideas and value differences
- Open-minded – think outside the box, be open to change and learn from failures.
Astrocast offers flexible working time, team events, free fruits and great offices, in a dynamic, friendly, innovative and multi-cultural work environment.
- Start Date: March 1, 2021
- Contract / mission duration: permanent position with 3 months trial period
- Activity rate: from 100%
- Location : Astrocast, Chavannes-près-Renens, Switzerland
"Diversity is critical in tech, as it enables companies to create better and safer products for everyone, not just one section of society. At Astrocast, I found a diversity of cultures and roles within the company. I appreciate the most to see women participating in various positions throughout the company, even in technical ones. I am proud to be part of the future, working as an engineer in the space field, which was considered mission impossible. Thanks to Astrocast for creating a multicultural and gender diverse environment even in the field of Telecom and Aerospace."
"Working at Astrocast has been an incredible journey so far, working alongside a highly talented engineering team to develop world-leading products that are set to create whole new industries is the favorite part of my role."
"On a starry night, I look up and see a tiny shiny object flying through the dark sky amongst the stars and feel a wave of pride in our hard work!"
"I'm new to the team. Starting in April 2020, it took several weeks to meet everyone in person. But since day one, I was already contributing and working well within the team. I attribute this to the Astrocast's culture of openness and friendliness, but also of getting things done."
"What I appreciate the most about working at Astrocast is the motivation with which the team works. We know that what we are doing is game-changing, and we are all happy to do our little part to make it happen."
"When joining Astrocast, I knew that I would bring a lot to the company, but little did I know how much Astrocast would get to me. Working for such an innovative company allows its employees to scale up!"