Ref 84 - Embedded Software Lead Engineer
Job context and purpose
Astrocast, in partnership with Airbus and Thuraya is building a network of leading-edge nanosatellites in Low Earth Orbit to provide cost-effective IoT services to the 90% of the world not covered by cellular systems.
Astrocast low-cost terminals collect and transmit data from sensors or other customer assets and transmit them to our satellite network. The collected data is stored on the satellite and then forwarded to ground stations located around the globe. The ground stations forward the data to the cloud database, which is easily accessible to clients.
Astrocast’s mission is to track assets, monitor the environment, and save lives by building and operating the most advanced and sustainable satellite IoT network.
To consolidate the M2M Systems Team, we are looking for an experienced Embedded Software Lead Engineer who will report directly to the Head of M2M Systems. Thanks to the required firmware development know-how, software architecture and testing background, this role will manage the embedded software activities of the Astrocast satellite communication modules and their related products. This position will act as a system engineer when testing them against the overall system, with the goal of enabling next Service Level functionalities and new features on the Astrocast network.
A day in the life of an Embedded Software Lead Engineer
- Manage the firmware architecture of Astrocast Astronode and Wi-Fi commercial Products
- Maintain software specifications (application, MAC layer, drivers) based on existing documentation, product requirements and inputs from external partners or other teams
- Design, contribute, improve, and test of the secured wireless communication device’s embedded software
- Contribute to verification plans in collaboration with the Product Reliability Engineer
- Setup code reviews and continuous integration (automatic build, unit testing, …)
- Opportunity to manage a small team of developers
- Support other M2M teams and contribute to the M2M end-to-end system
What will make you successful
- Master’s degree in computer science or related technical degree
- Demonstrated experience in software architecture, ideally in wireless product software
- At least 5 years’ experience in embedded software development
- Experience with system level design: demonstrate aspects of system engineering
- Ability to describe and delegate development activities and testing issues (scrum)
- Delegate and manage developers’ daily tasks and their prioritization
- Demonstrated experience in wireless product software implementation
- Knowledge of security is a strong asset (encryption, authentication, memory protection)
- Hands on experience with software & hardware debugging tools (STM32) and scripting languages (bash, Python)
- Ability to identify needs, understand problems, evaluate options, and implement solutions
- Excellent communication and team spirit; critical thinking and writing skills
- Fluent in English, knowledge of French is a plus
- Open-minded, positive attitude and strong attention to detail
What we offer
Astrocast supports equal opportunities employment.
Our values are important to us as they define Astrocast culture and represent what we believe in:
- Agile – stay ahead of the game and be ready for the next challenge
- Smart – be smart enough to set goals you can reach and navigate to get there
- Team-oriented – share knowledge, trust your colleagues and be committed
- Respectful – embrace diversity, new ideas and value differences
- Open-minded – think outside the box, be opened to change and learn from failures.
Astrocast offers flexible working time, team events, free fruits and great offices, in a dynamic, friendly, innovative and multi-cultural work environment.
- Start Date: Q3 2022
- Contract / mission duration: permanent position with 3 months trial period
- Activity rate: from 80-100%
- Location : Astrocast, Chavannes-près-Renens, Switzerland
- Due to Swiss immigration regulations only European applications and Swiss permit holder will be considered
Send your complete application including CV, cover letter and work certificates before 1 September 2022.
Click on “Apply for this job” to submit your application.
"Diversity is critical in tech, as it enables companies to create better and safer products for everyone. At Astrocast, I found a multicultural and gender diverse environment and I appreciate the most to see women participating in various positions throughout the company. I am proud to be part of the future, working as an engineer in the space field, which was considered mission impossible."
"It is a daily pleasure to work with Astrocast's highly skilled and diverse team and to help converge its creativity into market-ready products."
"What I appreciate the most about working at Astrocast is the motivation with which the team works. We know that what we are doing is game-changing, and we are all happy to do our little part to make it happen."
"When joining Astrocast, I knew that I would bring a lot to the company, but little did I know how much Astrocast would get to me. Working for such an innovative company allows its employees to scale up!"
"Joining Astrocast in the midst of a pandemic, it took several weeks to meet everyone in person. But since day one, I was already contributing and working well within the team. I attribute this to the Astrocast's culture of openness and friendliness, but also of getting things done"
"On a starry night, I look up and see a tiny shiny object flying through the dark sky amongst the stars and feel a wave of pride in our hard work!"